Monsoon continues.. observatory is closed!
Monsoon season has started.. telescope is not being used.
I have tested once the new ZWO 174 mono camera.. but have yet to processed the files.
Met a few visitors at the observatory and planned future events.
My observatory laptop is having trouble. . The charger does not seem to work on the battery.
New planteray camera, ZWO 174 mono had its first light!
The sky was horrible with extreme haze (jupiter was invisible with the naked eye), but i tried this camera and CBSAP triplet 127 refractor combination. The results were stunning!!
An asteriod was imaged in Luminance filter for more than an hour.
2 hours of Luminance data for M27 nebula was aqcuired.
Visitors at the observatory saw Jupiter, Saturn and Moon.
Some test images of Saturn with the big telescope and CCD.
Photometry of W Lyr in BVI photometric filters.
Sky is very hazy tonight.. Arcturus is barely visible!
Comet C/2015 V2 Johnson is to be the brightest tonight.. I kept of taking images of it. Each 60 seconds long in Luminance Filter. Made an animation of 3 hours of conitnuous data.
Nothing else could be done tonight.
Multiple runs for the inherent Periodic Error Corrections of the mount tonight.
At the end made a very very good Periodic Error Correction Curve!!
Measured the position of 'planet' Pluto.
Tested recently made new Pointing model of the scope and it is working flawlessly!!
Updated the 'Main board Firmware' of Gemini Control.
Rebalanced the Titan Mount.
Made a new Pointing Model.. not happy with the final readings.. will try it again.
Windy nights these days.
Tried to make another pointing model with Tpoint and SkyX.. Halfway through, have to abondon it. High winds were not helping!
Tomorrow, will give it another try.
It was slightly windy.
Grabbed an hour of data of an asteroid; later of which astrometric position will be found and sent to the Internatinal Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center.
Tried to image Tabby's Star but the wind gusts were too high for any meaningful autoguiding to work properly.
Waited for a couple of hours with no luck.
Gusts of wind were troubling me to get a good guiding in the first part of the night. I was truing to obtain Photometric V band data of 'Tabby's Star'. Had to leave it because guiding was being impossible! Though managed to grab a few 60 second unguided exposures.
Found Pluto and got a decent Luminance data of the 'Planet'.
Got some photometric readings of 'Tabby's Star' in V and I band with good SNR.
Also grabbed about an hour's worth of Luminance Data of M27 nebula.
Guiding was not behaving after about 50 minutes, both for Tabby's Star and M27. This has never happened before.
Tested my southern most imaging possibilty tonight as well.. a bright star (~mag 3) appeared at around 10 degrees of southern altitude. I believe Omega Centauri can be imaged (poorly of course) from my observatory.
Did some experiments with new techniques for taking Flat Frames.. which were unsuccessful.
Spent 3 hours on aqcuiring a continuous data of an asteroid. Hopefully this will give me a light curve as well, along with the usual astrometric information.
Installed some ferrite rings on a few wires.. hopefully this will help some wierd behavior i am seeing in USB connections.
Captured some good data of an asteriod. Learning more and more on Astrometry.
Photoshop CS was not compatible on my 4K display.. finally installed Photoshop CC.
I have changed the position of the Weather Station and now it is standing 15 feet high. This will help to get better wind speed data and the temperature measurements.
Losmandy Titan mount without a doubt an outstanding mount! After using it for almost 15 years, i still am impressed by the quality of its performance. Carring C14 and a load of 5 instruments on its back, it still gives me superb performance.. very very happy with this machine and it is half the cost of Paramount!!
Over the years, i have been using it with first serial connection, then USB and tonight i connected it with the ethernet cable.. configured the network settings and there you go.. all the controls with so many options are now on the web browser!
Fiest thing i did is to update main board firmware and hand control firmare. It took some time to figure out things but finally got it done.
There are many new changes in the update but one of the feature which i am most excited about is a change in the pointing algorithm. A few goto tests did show clear improvement. I will however thoroughly test it in a couple of days to come.
I also changed the park position of the scopw tonight.
A night well spent at the observatory.
Moon is high up in the sky so no data acquisition possible these days.
Took dark frames of 900 seconds.
Tried taking flat frames with the light panel but no success. It seems three acrylic sheets are not enough to dim down the light for this purpose.
Took some dark frames.
Cleaned telescope room
I was late reaching the observatory.. Tried some more data on M82 galaxy.. could only get 10 minutes before the telescope limits were reached.
The black eye galaxy was in a good spot. Focused the scope on a star near the galaxy.. guide star was found and got a first image of 5 minutes.. it was a good sight! Then something happened to the guiding.. recalibrated the guide star and all but still the autoguiding was not good.
I thought is having some more data on M87 Jet but i already have a good SNR there so was not so appealing to me.
I found a good bright star for autoguiding for M3 globular cluster. After the exposure check, i could guide at 4Hz! Baged 40 minutes data of this cluster and called the night off.